Make it a spicy Father's Day with Jerked Steak Tacos!
by Diane Shannon Hansell
posted Jun 14 2017 2:41PM
Father's Day is this weekend and if you're looking for an idea for a fun dinner, you'll love this. Jerked Steak Tacos have just enough spice to make dinner come alive. Oh... and they go great with a mojito or a cold local beer! So fire up the grill and get ready to make the Father's Day a warm one.
Jerked Steak Tacos
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. dried Italian blend seasoning
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. ground allspice
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. jerk seasoning
- 1/4 c. plus 2 tbsp. canola oil, divided
- 1 1/2 lb. flank or skirt steak
- 10 small (taco-sized) flour tortillas
- 1 c. diced pineapple
- 1/2 c. diced onion
- 1/4 c. freshly chopped cilantro
- Juice of ½ lime, plus lime wedges for serving
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Crumbled cotija cheese, for serving (optional)
- Make jerk seasoning: In a small bowl, whisk together spices until combined. (If using store-bought jerk seasoning, move to step 2.)
- Make tacos: In a small bowl, whisk together jerk seasoning and ¼ cup oil until combined. Pour into a large resealable plastic bag and add steak. Press out as much air as you can and seal. Shake to coat the steak in the marinade, then chill for 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Add steak and cook until nicely seared but slightly pink in center, 6 to 8 minutes per side. Remove from heat and let rest 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together pineapple, onion, cilantro, lime juice, and salt.
- Thinly slice steak across the grain. Serve in tortillas with pineapple salsa and avocado. Top with cotija cheese if desired and serve with lime.