My dog loves treats. But not just any treat. Just like her food, she’s fairly particular with her treat choices. So when a friend shared this recipe with me…. I though peanut butter and bacon in one treat? What’s not to love. And she does. Try these on your dog and you’ll be amazed how much they love to be a “good dog” when this is the reward.
They are a little time consuming, but it makes a lot. And if you freeze half of the batch, you’ll find they will last a number of weeks.
PS: they make great doggie gifts too!
Peanut Butter and Bacon dog treats
- 1 cup natural creamy peanut butter
- 3/4 cup nonfat milk
- 1 large egg or 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup oats*
- 2–3 strips cooked bacon, chopped
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, gently mix the peanut butter, milk, and egg together with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula. Add the flour and baking powder. If your dough is sticky, turn it out on a floured work area and kneed the dough by hand to mix in all the flour. Mix in the oats and bacon. At this point, the dough will be thick and heavy.
- Using a floured rolling pin, cut into shapes using cookie cutters or a knife. Arrange on the baking sheets. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until very lightly browned on the bottom. Remove from the oven, turn treats over to bake the other side for 10-12 more minutes.
- Allow to cool and then let the sampling begin. They will be fine in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. But I usually freeze half the batch so they stay fresh.