It’s starting to feel like springs which means…. the skunks are coming out of their winter hiding spots looking for food. Last night, I got home and as soon as I got out of my car, I smelled it. It was very close! And my guess is, one of the neighbor’s cats met up with a skunk near my bird feeder and now smells like it. Hope they have plenty of peroxide and baking soda.
So in the name of spring returning, here is the recipe that works. The key is to let it sit up to 5 minutes if you can. And you might need to do it again, but it is effective.
Homemade Skunk Cleaner
- ¼ cup of baking soda.
- 1-2 teaspoons of mild dishwashing detergent like Ivory Snow.
- 1 quart of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide solution.
- Mix in a bucket and use immediately.
- Work the foaming mixture well into the coat.
- Leave on for five minutes.
- Rinse with warm water.
- Follow with dog shampoo if desired.