It’s that time of year again. This morning, Heather came in to tell us the story of last night. She had just gone to bed when she smelled it… skunk. Thinking her dogs were in the house, she got up to tell her husband to make sure not to let the dogs out and realized, only one was in the house. The other…. you guessed it. She had tangled with a skunk through the fence and now smelled like skunk, just in time for bed.
It’s a summer thing up north. Dogs and skunks seem to find each other so easily. There are many methods of cleaning recommended from tomato juice to Skunk Off. But the tried and true method that seems to work the best is an easy cleaner you can make at home. I always make sure I keep a big bottle of peroxide on hand and fresh baking soda. Sometimes, it can take more than one bath, but it does work and it’s cheap. If only we could teach them to ignore the little black and white guy!!!
Homemade Skunk Cleaner
- ¼ cup of baking soda.
- 1-2 teaspoons of mild dishwashing detergent like Ivory Snow.
- 1 quart of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide solution.
- Mix in a bucket and use immediately.
- Work the foaming mixture well into the coat.
- Leave on for five minutes.
- Rinse with warm water.
- Follow with dog shampoo if desired.